- Vocational development is largely a cognitive process in which the individual uses reasoning to arrive at his decision
- Occupational choice is a single event
- There is a single right goal for everyone making decisions about work.
- A single type of person works in each job.
- There is an occupational choice available to each individual
· Administer and interpret tests to assess your skills and interests, to help identify career options
· Plan career exploratory activities through assignments
· Provide exercises for improving decision-making skills
· Help you to develop a personal career plan
· Teach strategies for job search
· Provide support for those experiencing job stress, job loss, and career transition
Career Counsellors are professionals who hold degrees in related areas, such as Counseling or Psychology, who have chosen to concentrate in the field of career development. Their strength is the academic training they receive in counseling, helping them to understand how different personalities work in a professional setting. As counselors advance in education and experience level, there are higher levels of recognition they may receive.
1. The National Certified Career Counselor is a title held by a person who has a graduate degree in counseling or a related professional field from an accredited institution, completed supervised counseling experience which included career counseling, acquired a minimum of three years of full-time career development work experience, and successfully completed a knowledge-based certification examination.
2. In 1999, the NCDA retired this title, and made all who held it into Master Career Counselors. Other qualifications, professionals hold a master's degree in counseling or related field and have been active as an NCDA member for a minimum of two years. An MCC has at least three years of experience in career counseling and must successfully complete a supervised career counseling practicum. MCCs are skilled in administering and interpreting career assessments and provide the highest quality of career counseling services
4. The Fellow is an NCDA member of professional distinction. A Fellow designation recognizes outstanding and substantial contributions to career development in science, teaching and training, practice, service, policy development, and political action.
Based on holland theory related to career, there are six basic types individuals like Realistic, Invesatigative, artistic, social, enterprising and conventional. They prefer their career as per their basic type.
- The level of responsibility that suits him/her