1. Answer Briefly:
(1)Describe the operating system.
Ans. An operating system is a set of instruction which controls data, data storage and information.
(2)What is CUI?
Ans. It uses text or commands, typed through the keyboard to help the user communicate with the computer.
(3)What is GUI?
Ans. It uses graphic objects to help the user to interact with computer. In the windows operating system, commands are given by clicking on small pictures, symbols and words.
Ans. The program stored in the ROM checks the basic input and output devices and then loads the operating system. This sequence of operations is called booting.
(5) Which are the two types of booting? Explain.
Ans. they are of two types –
(1) Warm booting: Warm booting is resetting the computer, were operating system is already on by pressing ctrl + alt +delete keys.
(2) Cold booting: a cold boot is the start of computer from the beginning. Computer always starts with cold booting.
2.Answer in one sentence:
(1)What are icons?
Ans. On the desktop you can see several small pictures with labels. These graphical questions are called icons.
(2)What is a status bar?
Ans.The horizontal bar below the work area is called the status bar.
(3)What is the window desktop?
Ans. Desktop is the control center of window. Desktop has small icons that run certain important programs we frequently use.
3.Name the following.
(1) Which is the most popular operating system?
Ans. Windows Operating system.
(2) Name the windows sizing buttons on the title bar.
Ans. Maximize, Minimize and close button.
(3) Name two operating systems.
Ans. Windows Operating system and Linux operating system.
(4) Name any three components of a program window.
Ans. Menu bar, Toolbar and Title bar.
4. Explain the use of maximize and restore buttons.
Ans. When a program window occupies the entire screen on the Desktop. The widow is said to be maximized.. When widow is maximized, the middle button is restore button. Clicking this button makes the window smaller size. Once small, the middle button changes to maximize, indicating if you click on this button now, the window will be maximized.
5.Fill in the blanks:
(1) A graphical symbol on the Desktop is called Icon.
(2) Ctrl + Alt + Del Reboot the computer.
(3) DOS has a character user interface.
(4) Linux operating system was developed by Travalds linus.
(5) Below the title bar is Menu bar.
(6) The narrow bar at the bottom of the Desktop is called Double Click.