1. Good teaching is as much about passion as it is about reason.
2. Good teaching is about substance and treating students as consumers of knowledge.
3. Good teaching is about listening, questioning, being responsive, and remembering that each student and class is different.
4. Good teaching is about not always having a fixed agenda and being rigid, but being flexible and having the confidence to react and adjust to changing circumstances.
5. Good teaching is about style. Should good teaching be entertaining?
6. Good teaching is about humor and not taking yourself too seriously.
7. Good teaching about caring, nurturing, and developing minds and talents.
8. Good teaching is supported by strong and visionary leadership.
9. Good teaching is about mentoring between senior and junior faculty, teamwork, and being recognized and promoted by one’s peers.
10. At the end of the day, good teaching is about having fun.
Top Ten Teaching Behaviors To Avoid
1. Too much assigned work.
3. Fast lectures.
4. Procrastination in returning tests and papers.
5. Not keeping office hours.
6. Speaking negatively about colleagues.
7. Favoring certain students.
8. Faking it.
9. Giving impossibly difficult exams.
10. Belittling your students in class.