Ans. A basic process in reproduction is the creation of a DNA copy.
2. Why is reproduction necessary?
Ans. Reproduction is necessary to maintain the number of individuals of a species and to prevent their extinction.
3. Give one disadvantage and one advantage of asexual reproduction.
Ans. Lack of genetic variation is the disadvantage while rapid reproduction is the advantage of asexual reproduction.
4. Name some animals and plants that reproduce asexually.
Ans. Animals such as Amoeba, Paramoecium etc. and plants like Spirogyra, Bryophyllum, Mushroom, Sweet potato etc. reproduce asexually.
5. Name some plants which reproduce by vegetative propagation.
Ans. Plants which reproduce by vegetative propagation are Potato, Bryophyllum, Sweet potato, etc.
6. What is animal cloning ?
Ans. Animal cloning is the process by which an entire organism is reproduced in a genetically identical manner, from a single cell taken from the parent organism.
7. Name the female reproductive part of a flower.
Ans. Carpel is the female reproductive part of a flower.
8. Name the male reproductive part of a flower.
Ans. Stamen is the male reproductive part of a flower.
9. Which are the main reproductive organs of the male reproductive system?
Ans. Testes and Penis are the main reproductive organs of the male reproductive system.
10. Name the main reproductive organs of the female reproductive system.
Ans. Vagina, Uterus, Oviduct and Ovaries are the main reproductive organs of the female reproductive system
11. What is a blastocyst?
Ans. As soon as fertilization takes place, the egg cell (zygote) beings to divide until it becomes a ball of cells called blastocyst.
12. Which day is observed and the World Population Day?
Ans. July 11 is observed and the World Population Day.
13. Give some examples of STDs.
Ans. Syphilis, Gonorrhoea, AIDS are some of the STDs.
14. Name some contraceptives.
Ans. Condoms, Oral pills, Copper-T are some of the contraceptives.
15. Name the agents of cross pollination.
Ans. The agents of cross pollination are wind, water or animals.
16. What is double fertilization ?
Ans. The second male gamete fuses with the secondary nucleus in the embryo sac to form endosperm. This is called as double fertilization.