Introduction: -A responsible consumer is the one who takes active part in consumer protection. While exercising the rights described above a consumer is expected to shoulder responsibilities and take an active role in consumer movement.
Responsibilities of Consumers are as under: -
1. Critical Awareness: -It is the responsibility of the consumer to be alert and question about the price and quality of the goods and services he buys and uses. Consumers should look, listen and ask questions. He should assess the value for money, value for people and the value for environment.
2. Action: -It is the Consumer's responsibility to be assertive (self-confident) and acts to ensure that he gets a fair deal. As long as he remains as a passive (inactive) Consumer he will continue to be exploited. When something is wrong, one should act to put it right.
3. Social Concern: -It is the responsibility of a consumer to be aware of the impact of his use of consumer goods and services on the citizens, especially disadvantage and powerless groups whether in the local, regional or international community. He needs to make sure that the products and services he uses are not produced in an environmental that harms others.
4. Environmental Concern: -The consumer should understand environmental and other consequences of his consumption. He should recognize his individual and collective responsibilities to conserve natural resources and protect the earth for future generations.
5. Sustainable Consumption: -The Consumer, before buying goods or before availing services should satisfy himself about the need for the same and also should consume only up to his requirement and should not let goods or services go waste.
6. Working Together: -A consumer should the responsibility to promote and protect the interest of consumers. One should organize consumers and make them work together for the welfare of all consumers at large.
A consumer should take care: -
1. Before Buying:
· Planning in advance.
· Enquiring past performance of product/service.
· Enquiring about past performance of product/seller/service provider.
2. While Buying:
· Asking for demonstration regarding how to operate/use the product/service.
· Enquiring about after sale service.
· Reading and knowing the contents of guarantee/warranty card.
· Insisting on approved sale bill with serial number, address, phone number, etc.
· Obtaining guarantee/warranty card and getting it signed/sealed by the dealer.
3. After Buying:
· Using products as per instructions given in user manual.
· Keeping bills and guarantee card safely.
· In case of faults inform dealer and service centre. Do not meddle (interfere) or try to repair it on your own.
· Seek immediate redressal of deficiency in product.